The Motion 900 is good looking and well made. It’s TÜV approved for loads to 75kg, thanks to its integral steel reinforcing sections, and comes with a “glossy silver” lid on a matt silver base. The finish is somewhere between eggshell and gloss. It is designed to have a forward position on the car roof, looking neat and leaving more room at the rear of the car to open the tailgate.
Key features and specifications:
- Dual Side opening so you can choose to use it on either side of the vehicle, and to make for easier fitting and removal.
- There’s a Thule ‘One Key System’ compatible central locking system on each side of the box.
- Thule’s “diffuser technology” in the base of the box. The reinforcing ribs are all longitudinal, suggesting that this box will be particularly quiet in use. The reality is that all boxes generate additional wind noise, depending mainly on the speed at which you drive; quality boxes are designed so that you probably won’t notice the noise unless you decide to drive with the sun roof open.
- “Power-Click” box to bar fittings. You just turn each wheel to draw the fitting claws around the roof bars, making this box easy to fit to both standard steel and aluminium roof bars, e.g. Atera and Thule – maximum dimensions 80mm wide by 30mm deep. Power-Clicks also make it easier to fit boxes to unusual shaped manufacturers’ “own brand” bars, but these bars must be symmetrical in shape for the Power Clicks to work properly.
- If you’re using aerobars, and want to maximise the space in the box, we recommend that you remove these fittings (remove one screw and they lift out very easily) and instead use Thule’s T-track aerobar adapters which provide an invisible box to bar fitting as well as allowing you to make full use of the box capacity. If you’re using Atera or Thule bars you need the 697-5 adapters. If you have car manufacturer’s branded bars with a slot in the top of them, check the pop-up links below to work out which adapters to buy.
- Box weight 27kg. Before loading the box, check your vehicle’s maximum permitted loading limit, taking into account the weight of the roof bars, the weight of the box, and the weight of the contents.
- Dimensions: External 235cm x 94cm x 47cm. Internal TBAcm x TBAcm x it depends on what you pack, and where, and whether you use Power Grips or aerobar adapters.